History of Grandview Plaza

 

 
Born out of three floods, personal dreams and necessity, Grandview Plaza became a reality on March 4th 1963.  Independence, hospitality, personal caring concern, and accepted diversity of it's citizens has been the driving force behind the founding and growth of the city.
 
From two military barracks, a campground, and five businesses to 450 permanent residents, one paved road, a mobile home court, ten businesses, twelve street lights, and twelve years was its beginning.  Out of this dream, the infant city of Grandview Plaza has grown into a special community of 1200 residents.  Approximately 40 percent are permanent residents or retirees with the balance being predominately military families.  Grandview Plaza has a mayor-city council type government and it's own fire department.
 
Progressive and self-sufficient, Grandview Plaza has been without indebtedness for a number of years.  Responsible financial decisions have added to the success of the city.
 
National and state recognition has also been noted for Grandview Plaza residents.  A current Kansas Supreme Court member, Justice Bob Abbott, has called Grandview Plaza  "home" and for a number of years was the city attorney.
 
Nationally-renown "Cowens Chicken House" was founded here in 1951 and ended in its fiery demise in 1993.  It's owner,  Sam Cohen, was also the first mayor of Grandview Plaza.

The City of Grandview Plaza was incorporated by the Geary County Commission in March of 1963, with a population of nearly 600 residents.

After Sam and Mildred Cohen’s Chicken House Restaurant was flooded for the third time on Grant Avenue, they decided to move their building to higher ground just east of Junction City on the new Route US highway 40 and the present City of Grandview Plaza. Many other businesses would follow to include motels, restaurants and others. A new school was built to replace the old rural school located on J-Hill Road. The Grandview Elementary School now has a current average enrollment of 100 students.

When the 1st Division moved to Ft. Riley from Ft. Polk in 1955, it was apparent that more housing would be needed. One solution was to mae a city of mobile homes. Today, the older mobile homes are being replaced by newer double wide mobile homes, modular homes, contractor built homes and town houses. Victory Valley Addition has 5 4-plex townhouses and 24 single family homes underway. Grandview Plaza Place Apartments in under construction for a 252 apartment complex east of town, next to Marshall Field at Ft. Riley. The Razorback Ridge addition has nearly 60 home sites overlooking the Smoky Hill River and Junction City. This project is coming late in 2008.

City Hall is located on State Street in the heart of the City. It houses the City Clerk’s office, with a City Clerk and a Utility Clerk; the Police Department, with a Chief and 5 officers and a K-9 dog. The building also houses 3 fire trucks, one being a new 2006 Toyne Pumper truck capable of handling fires at the apartment complex. The Fire Department is a volunteer department with 10 or more firefighters undergoing constant training. We have a new maintenance shop behind City Hall that houses the City Maintenance Superintendent and one co-worker.  They handle utility and street operations.

There a new Community Building/Storm Shelter to the north of City Hall; and a city park one block west of the City Hall. The Community Center will host the 3rd annual Boys & Girls Club Halloween Haunted House. The Fire Department hosts The Annual Easter Egg Hunt in the city park every spring. Every fall, the city has a City Wide yard sale.

Grandview Plaza is still a small friendly town welcoming all who come to live in our community.